The ECCP, together with colleagues from the Joint Foreign Chambers, had the opportunity to meet DOT Secretary Wanda Teo to discuss her plans and priority for the Philippine tourism sector. The discussion focused on the following:
- Philippine Tourism Development Plan 2016-2022 and DOT’s priorities
- DOT’s focus is to help many under-developed tourist destinations, especially those in Visayas and Mindanao. Improving infrastructure remains high on DOT’s agenda; the said agency is working closely with the DOTr and DPWH to keep things in motion.
- DOT is expecting around 40 million inbound tourists in a span of six (6) years.
- DOT and TIEZA mentioned that they are ready to implement tourism enterprise zones --- 5 flagship tourism enterprise zones were identified: Bataan, Bohol, Siargao, CDO, Davao and Masbate.
- Medical Travel and retirement
- DOT created and strengthened its Medical Tourism arm, and prides in having USec. Alma Jimenez on board, with strong experience in Medical Facilities.
- The Arangkada Airport Policy Brief
- DOT wishes to focus on developing secondary airports such as those in Clark, Mactan-Cebu, and Davao. DOT shared their initiatives on facilitating all incoming tourists in the Philippines, and noted that NAIA is 30% over its capacity. For this reason, DOT is moving towards the utilizing the full capacity of other airports.