Luncheon Meeting with Secretary Roy Cimatu
June 19, 2017
- Clean & Green Energy. The DENR fully supports the DOE in the implementation of the Renewable Energy Act of 2008 and has been actively promoting the deployment of clean and green energy sources
- DENR's role in facilitating issuance of environmental clearances for investors. The Department recently introduced some notable improvements in the implementation of the environment impact statement system as well as processing and issuance of tree cutting permits.
- Waste-to-energy and addressing the issues of landfills and dumpsites. In 9 June 2016, Under the National Solid Waste Management Commission, the Resolution on Waste-to-Energy (WTE) was signed, which provides for the guidelines on WTE technologies and standards. Currently, a Department Administrative Order for waste-to-energy burn technologies as a mode of waste disposal is being crafted.
- Water resources management in the Philippines. To address the problems in water resources management, the DENR through the National Water Resources Board is initially focusing on 2 major concerns: (1) Governance, and (2) the lack of science-based data and information for planning and decision making. There is also an ongoing initiative towards a Comprehensive National Plan.
- Ensuring responsible mining. To ensure a responsible minerals industry, mining contractors were required to be ISO14001 compliant. It is also notable that the Philippines is now a candidate country to the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative. The DENR has submitted the 3rd year report which is now undergoing the validation by the International EITI Secretariat.